There are two honors programs in our department. Both recognize exceptional achievement in the physics field.
Department Honors Program
This rigorous program requires substantial participation in research with a faculty member.
Any student majoring in the Physics department can participate in the honors program if they meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of 30 hours and maximum of 90 university credit (with a minimum of 8 hours in physics courses)
- Minimum GPA of 3.3 with an A or B in all physics courses
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty
- Prior admission to the University Honors Program
- Approval from the Chair of the Physics department
Graduating with Honors
To graduate with honors in Physics, you have to remain in academic good standing and complete the following:
- All requirements for a degree in the department with an A or B in all physics courses and a 3.3 cumulative GPA
- 9 hours of in-course honors courses in the department
- 2 hours of research with a Physics faculty member in PHY 290, PHY 390, IDS 285, or IDS 286 with a grade of A
Sigma Pi Sigma
We are thrilled to have a chapter of Sigma Pi Sigma. This national physics honors society is restricted to colleges and universities with strong physics programs. Our chapter offers fellowship among students and honors outstanding scholarship.
To become a member of Sigma Pi Sigma, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Overall GPA of 3.5
- 75 hours of university credit
- Take at least Physics 220
Faculty members invite students to join Sigma Pi Sigma.