Waterwheel Data Archive
The ISU Waterwheel has produced a large collection of experimental data (the apparatus and data collection and analysis are described elsewhere). This table contains thumbnail images of the data in several forms:
- The first column contains the value of C0, the parameter that describes the strength of the magnetic brake for that run.
- The second column notes the file name.
- "Phase Space" gives a 2-d projection of the trajectory onto axes denoting the wheel's angular acceleration (alpha) and angular velocity (omega).
- "Time Series" gives the wheel's angular position in radians as a function of time in seconds.
- "Power Spectrum" gives the log of the magnitude of the omega fourier amplitudes as a function of frequency.
- "Omega Crossings" is an ordered plot of the value of omega each time the trajectory crosses the alpha = 0 plane with omega > 0.
- "First Return" uses the extreme values of omega in each cycle (those with greatest local magnitude) and plots the (n+1)th values versus the nth value, using the absolute values of omega.