Welcome to the Department of Physics.
The mission of the Physics Department is to:
- Provide a high quality undergraduate physics experience, offering physics, computational physics,and physics teaching degrees as well as a dual degree program in engineering and physics, with the goal of becoming the first choice school in physics for Illinois students.
- Carry out research and scholarship that is recognized on a national and international level.
- Maintain and expand a vigorous undergraduate research program that is second to none nationally by providing a supportive learning environment in which undergraduate students are active participants in forefront research.
- Provide meaningful co-curricular activities, offering students significant experiences applying their
skills and knowledge to a variety of out-of-class projects.
- Maintain the preeminent undergraduate physics teacher education program in Illinois and further
establish its national reputation.
- Provide a robust computational physics program, including integration of computational methods
into all physics major courses and offering a bachelor’s degree in Computer Physics, unique in the
nation, focusing on computer simulation of physical systems.
- Maintain and continue to develop effective courses that support the University-wide commitment
to general education.
- Provide a strong outreach and public education program that extends to members of the campus,
the wider community, and the profession, and which serves the public interest by sharing our
experience and expertise through educational activities, scientific analysis and explanation, and a
continuing effort to foster scientific literacy.